The Nnamdi Azikiwe University is located in Awka, Anambra State, one of the States in Eastern Nigeria. The university was not always known by this name, it was named Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH) on inception.
The university was established on 30th May, 1980 and has grown to be one of the top universities in Nigeria over the last two decades.
Nnamdi Azikiwe university was established on the principle that education and knowledge should be propagated and distributed to every individual not regarding hindrances.
Furthermore it was intended that every teaching and research carried within the 4 walls of the institution will meet the needs of the nation and the world. Considering closely the man who the university was named after, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, it is evident that he was a man worthy of emulation, standing out as exemplary worldwide.
To ensure that the mission and vision of the university are achieved, operations have been tailored to follow the examples of Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe to the letter. They have ensured that the educational methods adopted are able to foster unity among students and cordial relationship with lecturers and the international community.
The mission of the University is “to use teaching, research, and public service to solve social problems.” The teaching methods will be geared at ensuring that students gain knowledge and are able to apply what they have learnt to solve practical problems in their immediate societies.
The vision of the University is to produce graduates with the following attributes:
- A wide array of knowledge with specific skill in the chosen discipline.
- Logical reasoning.
- Well-developed oral and written abilities.
- Numeracy, and computer literacy.
- Exhibition of high ethical and moral values in professional and personal life.
- Strong sense of responsibility.
- Self conﬁdence.
The Nnamdi Azikiwe University is a product of the defunct Anambra State University of Technology which was established in 1980. The university was established by the then State government as a university catering for educational needs of both males and females. The university had several campuses at the time in Awka, Enugu, Nnewi and Abakaliki.
Anambra State was spilt into two States in 1991 namely Anambra and Enugu States. To this effect the campuses still present in the new Anambra State, Nnewi and Awka campuses, were renamed. The Federal Government took over the university and named it Nnamdi Azikiwe University.
Faculties and Schools
The University has 4 major schools, they include:
- School of General Studies – established with the aim of developing and broadening the horizon of students in all disciplines present in the university.
- School of Postgraduate Studies – the university believes that to pursue a higher degree is fundamental to improving an individual’s life. This is why this School was established, to facilitate making that decision. The School was established in 1981/82 under the defunct ASUTECH.
- UNIZIK Business School – this School was created to allow for the impartation of skills and knowledge that will create industrialists, institutional leaders, entrepreneurs, and professionals. This is important to ensure that they develop a character of integrity and maintain high ethical standards.
- Demonstration Schools – this comprise of UNIZIK Nursery and Primary Schools and the Nnamdi Azikiwe University High School.
There are 12 faculties in the school and they include:
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Biosciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Health Sciences and Technology
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Physical Sciences
There are several courses offered in the university providing students with different certificates on satisfaction of stipulated requirements. Below is a list of approved courses by the NUC in Nnamdi Azikiwe University:
- Accountancy / Accounting
- Adult Education
- Agricultural and Bio-Resources Engineering
- Applied Biochemistry
- Applied Microbiology and Brewing
- Banking and Finance (Admin)
- Biological Science(s)
- Business Administration
- Business Education
- Business Management
- Chemical Engineering
- Chinese Studies
- Civil Engineering
- Civil Law
- Computer Science
- Cooperative Economics and Management
- Early Childhood Education
- Education and Biology
- Education and Chemistry
- Education and Computer Science
- Education and Economics
- Education and English Language
- Education and French
- Education and Igbo
- Education and Integrated Science
- Education and Mathematics
- Education and Physics
- Education and Political Science
- Educational Foundation
- Educational Management and Policy
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics And Computer Engineering
- English Language and Literature
- Environmental Management
- Estate Management
- Fine / Applied Art
- Food Science and Technology
- Forestry And WildLife
- Geography and Meteorology
- Geological Sciences
- Guidance and Counseling
- Hospitality And Tourism Management
- Industrial Production Engineering
- Information Resource Management
- Library and Information Management
- Mass Communication
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Laboratory Technology / Science
- Medical Rehabilitation
- Medicine and Surgery
- Metallurgical and Material Engineering
- Modern and European Language
- Nursing / Nursing Science
- Parastitology and Entomology
- Physical Education
- Physical and Health Education
- Physics / Industrial Physics
- Political Science
- Polymer and Textile Engineering
- Pure and Industrial Chemistry
- Quantity Surveying
- Religious and Human Relations
- Science Education
- Surveying and Geo-Informatics
- Technical Education
- Theatre Arts
From inception the University operated a non-residential culture till the 1998/99 academic session. The non-residential policy was done away with even though the University was yet to provide sufficient accommodation facilities at the time.
The university admits students who have written JAMB/UTME examinations and scored a minimum of the cutoff mark for the course of study. The student must also have a minimum of 5 credits in WASSCE or any equivalent examination. These credits must include Mathematics and English, except otherwise prescribed by the department.
Nnamdi Azikiwe University – Conclusion
From the NUC ranking of universities in Nigeria, Nnamdi Azikiwe University is the 22nd best university in Nigeria. They have produced reputable figures in Nigeria in the field of academics. Generally, they have high standard of learning, therefore it is university for serious students.
Therefore, if you’re a parent or student considering seeking admission into Nnamdi Azikiwe University, then I’ll encourage you to go ahead.
Above all, it is a federal government university, which means it is affordable and reliable.Kindly Like my Page